Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ready...Set...Go!

Healthy competition is good...in fact, it's probably necessary in certain aspects of life. To find competition in a game of dodgeball, however, is extremely fun (and tiring). Leroy and I joined a gang of other Big Brothers and Big Sisters this week and visited a fun zone called BounceU (http://www.bounceu.com). This place is full of air-filled 'rooms' and obstacles that invites everyone who enters to find their inner child and just play (not hard for me to do).

One of the best moments for me that evening was a small moment. We were in the dodgeball room plotting how we were going to rush the other side and pummel them with the random sized balls we collected through our battles. We were both sitting in the safest corner on our side so as to not get smacked down ourselves, when another boy came to join our side. Leroy knew him from past events and quickly grabbed his attention and said "This is Greg, my brother.". Small statement, yes, powerful words, for me, yes. I was moved. It may have been the way he said it, with his big smile - It may have been the excitement of being in the middle of battle - but something inside me smiled. I understood, for a brief moment, that I was making a difference.

I typically dispel ideas of bringing good to any one's life. Perhaps it was a wound I received as a child (you know that 'not good enough' b.s.). Never the less, I made room for this. I realized that I do make a difference to this young man. He's proud to be with me. He feels safe when he's around me. He talks to me about things that bother him - things I felt like I could never take to anyone when I was a child.

The great thing is, I didn't do anything except show up. It spoke volumes to how simple it really is to mentor. I used to worry about things like "what are we gonna do"..."what are we gonna talk about"... not anymore. I realize by just being who I am and listening to who he is, like any relationship, it grows. The benefit is that I provide a choice to a boy who may need another choice in his life.

I hope this story gives you a sense of how easy mentorship is and the greatness it brings. Ready...Set...Go!

-gt

No comments: