Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Another First

How important are firsts, how memorable? I guess it all depends. Well, tonight was Leroy's first time seeing the Harlem Globetrotters (http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com). My first time seeing them was with my wife a few years ago.

For me, the first time I saw the Globetrotters, despite being an adult, was a magical experience. I remember growing up knowing who they were by seeing them on TV, knowing the amazing things they could do with a simple ball. I remember thinking to myself that they probably weren't even real, that it was all some kind of magic...you know cinematography stuff. I'm sure that's at least one thing that contributed to my magical experience.

When we showed up for the show, and the Globetrotters came out onto the floor doing their 'magical circle' to "Sweet Georgia Brown", I watched Leroy's eyes light up, triggering the magical experience I had only a few years ago. The Globetrotters did their thing, their ball-handling magic, their shooting magic, their halarious antics...it was a great show. Leroy couldn't help but laugh everytime the team played a joke on another player or the audience. He kept saying "did you see that"..."that's crazy"...what a blast.

Anyway, I can only hope his first experience with the Globetrotters reserves a little space in his memory bank and that he can recall it, recall the happiness and laughter, whenever he needs - or, as most memories occur for me lately, at completely unexpected moments. Those times when you remember something funny, your face breaks out into a HUGE smile, and no one around you knows what the heck your smiling at - priceless!

- gt

No comments: